The William Brinton 1704 House was constructed in that year in Delaware County by William Brinton, Jr. The intent of our firm’s restoration project was to conserve the house as it exists today, through the selective repair and conservation of exterior architectural features and materials. The exterior masonry walls and chimneys were repaired to prevent further deterioration due to moisture penetration. Chimneys were repointed above the roof plane with an incised grapevine mortar joint to match the existing material. The wood windows were in need of repair and, in some cases, complete replacement. Deteriorated or damaged siding and other exterior wood components were repaired or replaced as necessary, exactly matching the original material species and color. Some of the existing siding nails (with wrought iron “rose heads”) had become dislodged or were missing, so the loose nails were re-secured and the missing nails were replaced to match the originals. The 1970s shingle roof was replaced. Western Red Cedar shingles were installed at all roof and dormer roofs in a full triple layering pattern. The associated exterior wood cornices and related trimwork were stabilized and repaired. The heating system was at the end of its useful life and required replacement and a humidification system was installed. The new system uses the existing distribution components, avoiding any negative impact on the original historic structure. Safety upgrades to the existing electrical system were also required. The National Historic Landmark 1704 House is significant as one of the buildings present during the American Revolution’s Battle of Brandywine on September 11, 1777. In the 1950s, the noted architect G. Edwin Brumbaugh was retained by the Brinton family to restore the house to its original form by removing the late 19th-century changes and recreating 18th-century details that were missing. Brumbaugh also created a caretaker’s residence on the eastern end of the house, incorporating antique wood framing materials.