Purchased in 1968 by the Chads Ford Historical Society, the building was restored under the direction of John Milner Architects and now functions as a house museum. Located adjacent to the house is a new Visitors’ Center also designed by the firm on the stone foundations of the original barn structure. Built c. 1724, this quintessential small stone “bank house” was the home of John Chads, the originator of the ferry service crossing the Brandywine River. It is one of a rare group of significant early eighteenth century buildings surviving in the Landmark Revolutionary War Battlefield area.