A devastating lightning strike destroyed a portion of the roof and vaporized the humidity in the building consequently rupturing the mortise-and-tenon joints of the original braced frame. A systematic approach was developed to conserve the maximum amount of historic material and reconstitute the building with respect for its evolution over more than 300 years. Built in 1686 by a prominent Nantucket, Massachusetts whaling family, this landmark wood frame structure in the “saltbox” form has a remarkable physical history. The house became a museum in the third quarter of the 19th century- marking the building as one of the first “house museums” in the country.