The building underwent a dramatic transformation from its mid-nineteenth century appearance to the form consistent with the Muhlenberg family’s occupation a century earlier. Built in 1755 and representing a rare building type, the German-American “half-hall” floor plan, the 3,500 SF house served as the residence of Reverend Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, a patriarch of the Lutheran Church in America. The comprehensive exterior and interior restoration included the reconstruction of the original roof line, fireplaces and stair, along with the renovation of the existing workshop as a visitors’ center.