This historic 1724 brick house in the Brandywine River Valley was carefully restored, with its leaded glass casement windows, and expanded with a new addition to accommodate a kitchen on the first floor with master bedroom suite above. The addition, clad in dark brown clapboard siding, incorporates antique building materials (ceiling beams, woodwork, doors and wide oak flooring). The site, set in the midst of conserved open space, has been developed with a series of gardens, one of which serves as the entrance to the house and is framed by an outbuilding with a “summer kitchen”.