Before

This complex of five large brick row houses (c. 1786-1804), was reconstructed and restored as part of the National Park Service‚Äôs largest single Bicentennial project at Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia. “Franklin Court” memorializes Benjamin Franklin and his remarkable achievements here and abroad in support of the new nation. The site incorporates the courtyard in which Franklin built his house, the buildings along Market Street which formed a privacy screen, and an underground museum. Venturi and Rauch Architects, in collaboration with John Milner Architects, designed the project which has achieved wide acclaim for its innovative approach to blending architectural restoration, historical and archeological interpretation, sense of urban space in the 18th century, and the functional requirements of a popular shrine.